Story Behind the Need
• Business group: Canadian Digital Banking Engineering –Mobile Applications – support the Bank’s mobile applications, including payments, account balances, transfers, cheque deposits etc.
• Project: TSYS Modernization Project – converting backend credit card systems to TSYS systems
Candidate Value Proposition:
• The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with one of the top 5 Canadian Banks, will be exposed to cutting edge technologies, ability to grow learning of commercial systems, work in a large highly matrix organization; ability to Work from Home.
Typical Day in Role:
• Contributes to development of world-class digital products and experiences on the Android platform that touch millions of client customers every day. Contributes to the overall success of the Digital Banking Unit in Canada, ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted follow governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
• Work with product owners and business system analysts to refine ticket requirements in JIRA and Confluence, review pull requests, and implement documented designs.
• Develop high-quality code by reviewing work with designer and product owners and resolving any issues quality assurance testers.
• Collaborate closely with a team of Android, IOS, and backend developers to work on both new features and incremental improvements to the bank’s flagship mobile app
• Adheres to and demonstrates good coding conventions and best practices, and helps to maintain the architecture of the project
• Stays on top of reviewing others’ code, actively contributing suggestions and catching potential issues
• Always works to balance user experience, performance (client and backend), and security
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
• 5+ years’ experience as an Android developer
• 3+ years’ combined experience with both Kotlin and Java programming languages
• 3+ years’ with Android Studio and other tools used in Android Development
• 3+ years’ experience with coding patterns such as MVVM and clean code best practices
• 3+ years’ experience building applications that consume RESTful APIs
• Experience with tools such as: JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket
• Experience with unit-testing
• Experience with code versioning tools, such as Git
• Experience in integrating Third Party libraries and SDKs
• Experience with accessibility and analytics
• Experience with RxJava, Dagger
Soft Skills Required:
• Good problem-solving skills and excellent communication
• Ability to work well under pressure, with tight deadlines
• Preferably have at least a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field – or equivalent work experience
Best VS. Average Candidate:
• Ideal candidate has a strong technical background and is a great problem solver, works well under pressure, takes initiative.
Candidate Review & Selection
• 2 rounds MS Teams Video Interviews:
o 1st – HM Interview – 30 minutes
o 2nd – Technical Panel Interview with team – 1 hour – broken down: 30 minutes live coding challenge (Kotlin or Java); 30 minutes of technical questions
• Hiring Manager’s availability to interview: ASAP