Story Behind the Need
• Business group: Project Delivery & Support (PD&S) is a centralized project management office that supports various technology teams across the bank.
• Project: As a Program Manager in PD&S, you will lead a variety of projects/programs across business lines and technologies, using various project management methodologies and tools. You will work in a culturally diverse environment while providing our Technology and Business partners with best-in-class project management expertise.
• Reason for request: New resources are required for 4 programs.
Candidate Value Proposition
• The successful candidate will have the opportunity to manage one of 4 major programs (Data Protection, Blue Optima, IP releases or Auto Modernization) at one of the Big Five Banks in Canada.
Typical Day in Role
• Manage and ensure the successful delivery of complex projects/programs involving multiple teams from different groups across the bank, as well as external vendors when required
• Demonstrate strong leadership skills to develop and maintain high functioning project teams
• Influences business project decisions with direct impact on financials or operating results
• Ability to independently run executive Steerco meetings with Group Heads, EVPs, and SVPs
• Takes a strategic focus aligned to business priorities
• Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge Recommends technical strategy within a technical domain, may investigate and evaluate new technologies
• Impacts the technical direction and resource allocation for products, services or platforms supported
• Leads the solution of risks and issues that have a broad impact on the project team – accountability typically spans across multiple products, a line of businesses or with significant enterprise system impact
• Defines and maintains the roadmap and project budget
Candidate Requirements/Must Have Skills:
• 7-10 years of experience as a Program Manager, managing large complex projects/programs, that have significant IT and operational components, preferably in the financial services industry
• Excellent track record managing projects/programs of higher complexity, high risk and large budgets (up to $50 Million+) dealing with multiple stakeholders
• Strong communication (verbal/written/presentation).
• Mature interpersonal skills with the ability to work with, and influence, all types of professionals
• Knowledge of project management tools and techniques (e.g., CA PPM, MS Projects, JIRA, Visio, Agile/Scrum, Waterfall etc.)
• Proven program management experience.
• People management and team building skills.
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible/ adaptable in exercising judgment in a changing environment and to manage competing priorities.
• Proven ability to learn business processes quickly and to work well with business partners at different levels within the organization.
• Strong ability to assess risk and apply management principles to technology applications/products and business functions.
Degrees or certifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as computer science, computer engineering or related field required
• PMP certification is required
• Scrum Master certification (CSM) is a nice to have
• Professional Scrum Master certification (PSM) is a nice to have
• Master’s Degree (MBA) is preferred
Candidate Review & Selection
• 1st round: phone screen with HM
• 2nd round: video interview with Portfolio Director
• 3rd round: video interview with panel of VP’s
• There are 4 different Program Manager positions that will each be for a specific project. Please find the details for each position below:
o Data Protection Program Manager – Consolidation and driving of the 21 work streams /projects that are associated with the Program
o Blue Optima roll out across the bank.
o Strong Program Manager on all things IP. This role needs to drive sequencing of all LO requests/IP releases, drives the business cases – both planned and ad hoc requests Coordinates with other projects as well re: sequencing
o Auto Modernization – Automotive Loan Background is a must. This person will manage IBM as the Vendor. This project is currently going through a massive overhaul and replan. It requires a very seasoned Program Manager. There is a HUGE change management component to this project, and that in conjunction with Executional strength are required.