• The Product Owner is responsible for continuous and early delivery of business value. They are responsible for identifying capabilities, features, and potential risks for the product vision by working with end users, stakeholders, the agile team and business Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to produce high quality features that will change the way the Bank interacts with customers.
• In collaboration with the agile team, the Product Owner will be engaged throughout the different phases of the product lifecycle and will actively evolve the product roadmap.
• The Product Owner (PO) will be expected to represent the voice of the customer and prioritize the backlog.
• Moreover, the incumbent will be expected to enable peers and tirelessly advocate for the vision and customer experience you’ve been entrusted with.
• Responsible for defining a product release and iteration backlog based on product overall vision and input from business SMEs, customer experience and the agile team.
• Understand and articulate the product vision, including its objectives, value proposition, and key risks associated with opportunities/ideas
• Collaborate with SMEs to assess how features will impact the end-user and how to effectively manage them
• Develop product roadmap and high-level backlog, further decomposed into releases which deliver significant value to the end user.
• Prioritize (and continuously reprioritize) delivery based on the calculated benefits/value of identified features/epics.
• Act as primary reviewer and approver of finished development work during iteration demos/reviews based on established acceptance criteria.
• Actively collaborate and engage with the agile team Regularly attend planning sessions, stand-ups, retrospectives, iteration reviews and other team meetings in order to verify that the output of the team is consistently delivering business value and aligned with the agreed upon commitments
• Shield the team from interruptions and outside interference by acting as a conduit between the business and the team
• Lead the development of user stories and supporting documentation with applicable acceptance criteria
• Decompose larger objectives or journeys into features and user stories that can be understood and committed to by members of the team
• Participate in iteration planning discussions to reduce ambiguity around the user stories and ensure clarity, optimize functionality and define features that align with product vision
• Support the team by being available to provide definitions required to complete detailed user stories, whether through face-to-face meetings or suitable light-weight documentation Advocate for the highest attainable levels of quality and for approaches that will minimize the impact of technical debt on the product and organization
• Utilize SMEs including team members to assist in the validation of epics and user stories as well as other activities such as user experience testing
• Prioritize backlog to ensure highest value features/epics are developed first and that all stories are aligned with and traceable to the product vision
• The Product Owner is empowered by the business to make decisions about the product direction
• Define features, themes and epics in suitable levels of detail and prioritize them based on their respective business value
• Establish and communicate product vision with key stakeholders and business owners, using customer research and available reporting and analysis to provide an economic justification for key decisions
• Review the output of the agile team at the end of every iteration, and before the product is released into the market, to ensure that it meets expectations
• Ensure full awareness of market and trends in the business environment through effective communication with stakeholders; using research and available analysis to help inform ideas
• Contribute to discussions on solutions and execute assigned priorities with consideration and awareness of potential impact on other initiatives (the organization overall Product / Portfolio Backlog).
• Contribute to building organizational capability and expertise on agile adoption
• Lead and coach the organization to accelerate its adoption of agile by sharing successes, useful artifacts, practices and experiences
• Communicate effectively across diverse audiences within and outside of the development team (Stakeholders, Executives), acting as a champion of the agile methodology
• Partner with Agile Coach and other agile teams to share findings, best practices, and resources to help mature the organization agility
Qualification of Must have skills for a Product Owner:
• At least 2 years of progressive work experience in new product development within Finance or Banking
• Prior experience in a project environment and familiar with project life cycle management
• At least 3-4 years of experience working in an agile environment
• Must have at least 3-4 years of prior web application product management experience.
Nice to have skills:
• Masters / MBA considered an asset
• If candidate has prior work experience within SMB – asset
• Bachelor Degree in business, finance, economics or other relevant field